38th Avenue Main Street Restriping Begins Sunday
Restriping of Roadway First Step to Implementing the Community’s Vision for a Safer, Pedestrian/Bicyclist-Friendly, Vibrant Main Street
WHEAT RIDGE – On Sunday, May 20, 2012 the City of Wheat Ridge begsn restriping the roadway in addition to configuring new on-street parking. The restriping work is a key step in implementation of the 38th Avenue Corridor Plan adopted by City Council in October 2011. The plan establishes a vision for the revitalization of 38th Avenue between Wadsworth and Sheridan Boulevards, which is a priority area for redevelopment. Another key component of the project is improving the safety of the roadway for pedestrians and bicyclists through a “road diet.” The “road diet” (as explained below) is the outcome of two years of extensive planning that consisted of traffic analysis and community input.
- Restriping of 38th Avenue between Upham and Depew Street will remove one lane of traffic in each direction. This will create a 3-lane section with one lane of traffic in each direction and a continuous center lane for left turns.
- Construction of amenities using the removed lanes:
- On-street parking on the south side of the street consisting mostly of parallel parking
- Back-in angle parking for less than 3 blocks near Teller and High Court (See the City Website for an educational video on Back-in Angle Parking)
- Large planters with new landscaping
- Pop-up cafes that will extend the sidewalk and provide outdoor seating
- Addition of bike lanes from Upham to Pierce
Phase 1: Restriping of the Road
- Restriping of the road will take place between Sunday, May 20 and Thursday, May 24th between 7 p.m. and 5:30 a.m.
- During construction, one lane of traffic will be open. Construction will not consist of street closures. No major delays are expected.
- Restriping between Upham to Pierce will take place on Sunday, May 20th. Please note that construction activity begins around Wadsworth Boulevard.
- Restriping between Pierce and Harlan will take place on Monday, May 21st
- Restriping between Harlan to Depew will take place on Tuesday, May 22nd. Please note that construction activity begins around Wadsworth Boulevard.
- On-street parking – Wednesday, May 23rd and Thursday, May 24th.
- All roadway work is expected to be completed by the morning of May 25th. Visit the City Website at www.ci.wheatridge.co.us for project updates.
Phase 2: Placement of Main Street Amenities
- Over a two-week timeframe after restriping and on-street parking is completed, traffic barrels will be visible on the roadway while contractors begin work on the main street amenities (as shown at right) to include planters and pop up café’s.
- Work on the main street amenities is expected to be completed by middle to late June.
Project information can be found on the City Website at www.ci.wheatridge.co.us/38thAve
Key Project Facts:
- Restriping is part of an overall “road diet” approach and is the outcome of a two year extensive planning and community input process.
- Marketing and branding efforts for the 38th Avenue Corridor are underway. Efforts are being led by a resident and business member Leadership Committee.
- 38th Avenue Corridor Plan was adopted by the City Council on October 10, 2011.
- Plan development was led by a Mayoral appointed Stakeholder Committee.
- Properties along 38th Avenue in the construction areas have been contacted by Kolbe Striping to provide pertinent construction project information.
- The plan for the corridor restriping and amenity improvements is the result of a local community partnership with LiveWell Wheat Ridge and Wheat Ridge 2020.